(opens in new tab)
Itching to watch even more things on your television? Microsoft has you covered. Major Nelson announced today that the console maker has begun rolling out the previously promised updates that bring YouTube, Verizon FiOS, and other content services to Xbox Live, giving you even less incentive to ever leave the house again. Like, seriously, why would we go outside when the cat videos are inside?
The full list includes 11 different downloadable applications that differ depending on your region, with the US getting six apps, the UK getting four, and other countries around the world getting a few, as well. Not that the number really matters, as everyone will be getting YouTube, and that’s likely the most important upgrade (what with the cat videos and all). Besides YouTube, the other notable upgrades for the US are Verizon FiOS, TMZ, and MSN Video, adding millions of new things to watch from the comfort of your couch or bed. While it isn’t the full cable replacement Microsoft is pitching just yet, this update certainly makes strides in that direction.
You can check out the full list below, and expect to see the update within the next day or so.
- blinkbox (UK): blinkbox gives access to a wide range of movies online. With more than 10,000 movies titles movie fans can watch their favorite films immediately with no additional subscription required.
- iHeartRadio (U.S.): Listen to more than 800 of the nation’s most popular live broadcast radio stations from 150 U.S. cities or create your own Custom Stations with the New iHeartRadio.
- MSN Video (Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Mexico, US and UK): MSN brings you the latest breaking news, sports, celebrity gossip and more from around the globe.
- MSNBC.com (U.S.): MSNBC.com bring you the best of NBC News, MSNBC, Fox Sports, Access Hollywood, original programming and more, on-demand and up-to-date 24/7/365.
- MUZU.TV (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and UK): MUZU.TV the music video site, offers nearly 80,000 music videos at your command. Brand new releases from the world’s biggest artists, great music videos from every decade, up and coming bands and the latest music news and interviews.
- Rogers On Demand (Canada): Rogers On Demand provides select TV shows and movies to everyone for FREE. Rogers customers can also catch up on their favorite premium programming anytime, from anywhere in Canada.
- SBS ON DEMAND (Australia): SBS ON DEMAND is a catch up TV service that lets you watch full episodes, of your favorite SBS television programs.
- TMZ (Canada, U.S.): Your all-access pass to the latest TMZ entertainment stories and breaking news videos everyone is talking about!
- RTVE (Spain): Complete episodes from series, news programs, documentaries and the best Spanish audiovisual content from RTVE.
- Verizon FiOS TV (U.S.): Get Verizon FiOS TV with 26 live channels like MTV, Spike, Food Network, Comedy Central, HBO, CNN and Nickelodeon – with more to come. Plus with Kinect, change channels with your voice.
- YouTube (Available in 24 countries globally**): From your favorite web original video to gaming tips, a universe of compelling content is available through YouTube on Xbox LIVE.